Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Last Week

I feel bad for abandoning you all for a week, but I don't have much to say. School is fine. It's a pain in the butt to get to everyday but I knew that when I moved.

This weekend was pretty good, Saturday night we slept over at Juliana's house. Her mom was out of town and told her she could have all the girls over if she wanted. So we made pasta (I was a taste-tester), watched tv, played truth or dare, and eventually slept. On Sunday Carly and I explored Çengelköy, which really doesn't have anything. Except a view of the Bosphorus Bridge and AMAZING icecream.
Did I mention it was warm and sunny this weekend?

We wouldn't have stayed long, except that one of the other student's host mothers called Carly. This woman's son is on exchange to Kansas and just spent a weekend at Carly's real family's home. I feel a bit more confident in my Turkish now, since Carly ended up shoving the phone at me to figure out what she wanted. I think that being in my new house has really helped my understanding. My new family talks to each other all the time, so I hear how the language should sound all the time now. Anyways, this lady met us in Çengelköy to say hello (I suppose while you're on the other continent you may as well see someone, right?). Then she invited us to stay with them some weekend. They apparently have a guest house we're welcome to use.

It's moments like these that remind you about why the travel guides call Turks so hospitable and kind. Here we are, two girls she's never met before, and she already wants to have us over and cook us supper.

As an apology for keeping you in the blue..



Love,
Maeghan

PS. I have a bet with my host family. My old flats are more than dead, nothing short of duct tape could save them now. I've yet to find duct tape here, so I'm forced to the alternative option- buy new shoes. Unfortunately for me, I'm cheap. BUT I'm determined to find a pair for 15 TL or less. My host family claims this is impossible. I'm out to prove them wrong.
If I succeed by the end of the week, my sister said she'd buy me a second pair. If I can't, I have to dance for all of them. Failure is obviously not an option. Wish me luck!

PPS. To everyone on the New York trip- Have a GREATAMAZINGWONDERFULAWESOMEWICKED time.
To everyone everywhere else- Enjoy your Easter break and make millions of painted eggs and eat lots of chocolate for me. Especially the Cadbury cream eggs.. Mmm.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Ha ha! I like your windows! And thank you for your trip wellwishing!