Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gorkem, Cats, and a Fortune Teller

I went with my mother and host sister to a death anniversary. In Turkey they honour the death of a loved one by getting together on the anniversary of their death to pray and eat that person's favorite foods.

We went to Gorkem's aunt's house. They have a cat named Kopuk (which means bubble!). Gorkem does not like cats. This meant that the cat loved her. Hilarity ensued.
In attendance to this gathering was a woman who knew how to read fortunes in coffee grounds. I won't tell you everything, but mine included a dark-haired boy, an ill grandparent, a definite marriage in the family (now I'm excited! She was very sure of this one..), a trip, and getting closer to a friend. It was really, really cool. And much as I am somewhat skeptical, this woman was very impressive. I would recommend having your fortune read if you come to Turkey. It's quite fun!

Love,
Maeghan

4 comments:

Paul Jerry said...

Love the expression on her face - shoo! shoo!

laura said...

To sum up all the comments that I missed leaving before (and I know it's a lot... I am very sorry) I just want to say that coming back here is going to be very hard.
Maybe we should all just move out to Turkey??

Maeghan said...

Laura your plan sounds excellent.

Kathleen said...

That is so cool!!! About the fortunes and etc. This death anniversary idea is interesting.