Friday, May 15, 2009

Ooor.. not.

The internet hates me. I keep trying to upload photos (last three hotels) and it keeps dying. I haven't forgotten you all, I promise!

Let's see. Highlights from this trip in no particular order:

1. I made cookies! A double batch that barely fit in the bowl by the time I added all the flour.
2. Carly, Juliana, and I ate in a segregated restaurant.
3. We skipped stones in the Euphrates River.
4. A guy gave me three free scoops of ice cream at the birthtown of dondurma (turkish ice cream).
5. We watched the sunset on Mount Nemrut, and I met some Canadians there!
6. I spent a night at a sketch hotel conveniently located beside the hospital.
7. I covered my head to visit the birthplace of the prophet Abraham.
8. We took a row boat around a famous lake of fish.
9. We nearly died a slow death at the hands of GIANT FREAKING ANTS.
10. I ate at a Pizza Pizza! (Once he was the King of Spain.)
11. I saw the Syrian border from the top of a hill.
12. I got dripped on in the first church of Christianity.
13. I took an epic adventure through Turkish hoodoos and found doors in the cliff wall.
14. Oh! And this all happened on a minibus.

So as you can see, the trip was wonderful. The places we're visiting aren't used to a lot of foreign tourists, so we get a lot of stares, but overall it's been warm welcomes all the way across the country. And everyone loves our cute Istanbul accents! Hehe. Tomorrow we drive to Antalya for the district conference, but first I'm taking a ride in a hot air balloon!

More will follow.
-Maeghan

5 comments:

laura said...

That sounds like such a fun trip!!
You ate in a segregated restaurant?
Did you fish from your rowboat? Or just look at fish? Isn't rowing hard?!?!
Giant ants?
PIZZA PIZZA!?

Unknown said...

Sounds like an epic adventure!
Thinking of you.
love always,
Mom

Linda said...

King of Spain?
What's so famous about the famous fish?
Ah that sounds cool! I wish there were doors in our cave walls...wherever our caves may be...

Kathleen said...

Uh, HOT AIR BALLOON?? Fab. Also when you said "sketch hotel conveniently" I interpreted it as "sketch comedy hotel" and was momentarily confused. How big were the ants?

Kathleen said...

Haha also: three free scoops?? How many were there in the end?

(my word is sockin)

(and I just typed "socking" why?)