Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Second Trip, Part II

Tuesday started out with a short stop at another mosaic museum.

I was particularly fond of the information they gave you about each piece. You could give a test with these! Read the sign and try to draw what they describe:

If your picture looked like this, congratulations! If not, better luck with the next one.Next we found ourselves in Urfa. The city has had many names over the years, and I don't plan to list them all in hopes of someone recognizing one. However if you're wondering what there is to visit in this city by the Euphrates, you could start with the fish pools.


As you can see above, there was a section of the pools that had boats. At 50 kuruş (about 36 cents Canadian) a person, all the exchange students hopped aboard for a turn around the fountain.
Next we were off to visit a cave. But not just any cave, this is the claimed birthplace of the Prophet Abraham. To enter, women had to cover up. This was the first time I have been asked (read: required) to cover my head durning my stay here. Luckily for all of us, we had run into a charismatic scarf-seller by the boats and were well-prepared.After the cave, it was on to the bazaar. It was a bazaar like most bazaars, though with more fabric and metalware stalls than usual. We were given an hour to wander around before we met back at the bus to visit a traditional village.It was here that I remembered my friends back home and how we watched the second Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie right before I left. This is totally the area Bridget would have been.

If you can see those houses in the distance, you're looking at a village officially in Syria. Wave hello, everyone!

I suppose I'll end it there, even though that was only one day. Its getting kind of long and adding pictures is not enjoyable. Tomorrow should pull us through to Cappadocia, which will warrant it's own entry on Thursday.

Thanks for reading!
-Maeghan

6 comments:

EmilyRose said...

SO cool!!
My drawing turned out almost exactly like that!! Hahahah jk.
Abraham the prophet, like the father of moses?! ( I dunno if a guy named Abraham was his father, was he? lol)
It is so beautiful there!!
And you are soo Bridget! I watched that movie again here with my Brazilian friends and I thought about you in Turkey!! I also watched it with my friends in Canada before I left, because there was four of us, each one got to be a different character. I was Lena because of how she went to Greece in the first movie. :)
Keep Turkeying it up!!

Em

Unknown said...

xo's
mom

Marita said...

It's such a blast reading your blog. I LOVE the photo with you among all of the poppies. That's the most awesome picture ever. Take care and see you in August!!!

laura said...

OK, seriously, you are taking me to one of those museums when you take me to Turkey. As you will, right? Hint, hint. I'm so subtle, right?
I'm putting a fish pool in my backyard. How sweet would that be? Did you go in the boat?
I love how, when you talked about bazaars, you said "like most bazaars." You know. Whatever. I totally go to bazaars everyday. Your life is so sweet. Do I sound jealous? I hope so :) Love you.
Also, my deepest apologies, but I must add this: those pictures are something kelse!!! Ha ha ha!!
(P.S: is that how you would spell that? Kelse?)

Linda said...

Wow. I'm pretty sure my picture was kind of off.
Wow. That is an awesome fish pool.
Wow. Maybe I can start every paragraph the same way.
Wow. Giving up on that.

That is an amazing rate. Wish it was like that here. How nice would that be.

You're right! That is similar to the movie.

Kathleen said...

Do you also remember the Girlicious marathon?