Friday, August 22, 2008

Mikiko

So it has now been a week since Mikiko, our Japanese student has arrived, and so far it's all good. She doesn't speak a lot of English yet, but she understands almost everything we tell her (I think). Although every now and then I'll say something to her and I'm not sure if it's a "Thanks for telling me that" nod or an "Everyone knows that" nod or an "I have no clue what you're saying" nod. But for the most part she does what we ask of her (help yourself to food, you can call your parents if you want, etc.).

What's kind of amusing is that she follows my lead. She gets up when I get up. She eats when and what I eat. She showers before or after I shower. She goes on her computer when I go on mine. When I watch Olympics she does. She goes to bed when I do. It makes me uncertain of when I should do things. I'm not hungry, but is she? I want to sleep for another hour, but she's probably already up...

Although a good thing is that my friends are all eager to meet her and willing to let me bring her everywhere with me. I hope they will continue with this enthusiasm all year.

I'll post when I know something new.

-Maeghan

2 comments:

Linda said...

haha that's pretty cool...just make sure you don't starve yourself...

Kathleen said...

COMMENT!!!