Friday, October 10, 2008

A Day Out With My Classmates

Stage 3. The last in my catch-up entries. Allow me to share with you the first three sentences out of my journal entry for Monday, October 6.

"Today was so, so, so, so, so good. So good. I am so rediculously happy right now." Apparently I was happy. Here's why- At 10:00 am Sinan came to the apartment and we walked to the bus stop. We waited for half an hour talking, but our bus never came so we booked it to another stop and barely caught the bus there. The bus took us to Bakırköy where we waited for everyone at Burger King. Let's see if I can name everyone who came. Sinan, Sefa, Serbay, Canberk, Hande, İdill, Deniz, Buşra, Nihan, Berksu, and myself. When everyone was there we walked somewhere to catch a train (like the C-Train in Calgary!) and it took us to the seaside. There we caught a ferry to the Asian side. We wandered around there looking for a place to have tea. We ended up at a "cafeteria" with a beautiful view (it sat right beside the water). The menu had English translations of everything, including the paragraph describing the place. The paragraph was near nonsense, although they get points for using the term "fish feast". Sefa had a Coke (no one drinks Pepsi here), Hande didn't have anything, and the rest of us drank tea. Once we were done we took a different ferry back to Europe (Beşiktaş, to be exact). On the way over I attempted to learn everyone's names. I always feel terrible because I can't name many people in my class. It's just so difficult because very few sound like anything.

When we got off the ferry we walked some more and ended up in Ortaköy. On this walk I saw many exciting things. The street we were on had picture after picture after picture of Atatürk displayed. We walked past Dolmabahçe Palace, Çirağan Palace and hotel, and a hotel that had a Canadian flag flying in between two Turkish flags. Obviously I took a picture. It was funny, I was looking at the three flags and it didn't even occur to me that it was unusual until İdill pointed it out to me. My classmates took me to a place that sells baked potatoes Subway style. I'll explain. You get a baked potato that's sliced in half. Then there are a dozen choices of what you can put on it. Olives (black or green), corn, peas, 'American salad', cheese, and ketchup to name some. It was good. Oh. American Salad- potato salad. It makes me wonder what they call Greek salad...

I think that after that we took a bus to Taksim where we shopped for a while. I didn't buy anything, but we wandered around. I ate supposedly famous chocolate. It was good. After we were done there we went our seperate ways. When everyone did the kiss on each cheek thing I was included. This was so increadibly wonderful. I don't quite feel like part of the group, but they seem to have accepted me, which is great. Have I mentioned how lucky I am to have been put in this class? It sounds like the other exchange students haven't been as accepted by their classes. (I love you Class 11 TM - D. Ben sınıf arkadaşlarımı seviyorum!)

Again Sinan and I found ourselves waiting a long time for the right bus. The ride home took at least an hour. We talked a lot (hooray for talking!) and I have a small list of things I have to ask him about once I speak Türkçe, including the history of a section of town because he doesn't know how to say it in English.

When Melek asked me how my day was my answer was "Çok, çok, çok, çok güzel!" By the time we ate supper, I could barely move my legs I was so tired. But it was one of the best days I've had since getting here.

-Maeghan

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your new friends sound wonderful! We loved the pictures of your day too. Great to hear you had such a great time.
love always,
Mom

Anonymous said...

so do they have Pepsi and no one drinks it? or do they simple not sell it?

I wish more places around here sold tea. Besides Starbucks and the ridiculously expensive Tazo stuff (which I don't really like anyway) it isn't common here.

I love cafes overlooking things. They are so peaceful, with trees blowing gently, and the waves lapping the shoreline...

So peaceful.

Kathleen said...

Ha ha! Still booking it to the bus stop all the way over in Turkey... I guess no matter where you go it is impossible for a bus to arrive at the right time.

And your adventuring sounds so very fun... I think I shall have to come to Turkey. Because things here are not that fun. It's actually been arguably the worst week of the year. So I am glad you have escaped the soul vacuum that is this town...

Ok, wow, I need to stop being a downer. I do actually have a pretty random question for you. Do you get to dress up for Halloween? I'm pretty excited for Halloween.

Your class sounds really nice. And you exchanged la bise! Oh yes, I HAVE been learning in French class... Anyway, I am glad you are writing lots of entries again! Thanks for that!

laura said...

OH! Do know what was funny? I laughed about this a lot. THis weekend is Thanksgiving (do they have Thanksgiving there. They don't do they? That's a North America thing, right?) Anyways! The funny thing! YOU are spending THANKSGIVING in TURKEY!! Ha ha!

Sorry. I am so lame.

Also, your adventures really make me think what people who are from Turkey think when they come here. My guess is that they are thinking, "Wow. This is boring. Let's go home."

I'm glad you had such a great time!

Linda said...

Haha I love picking apart translations to English. Chinglish is pretty amusing.

You should try to make up a waiting-for-the-bus tune in Turkish.

About Laura's overamusement about Thanksgiving in Turkey--when I mentioned it she burst out laughing and then tried to explain it to Rowan and Kathleen. Blank stares were returned. oh Laura...

Very few sound like anything...heh. Reminds me of Russell Peters and him talking about !xobile. I think that's how the name was spelt. this was in someplace in South Africa I think...and the ! is a click of the tongue. So the name is pronounced: *click* bee-lay. How sweet is that?

Ah it sounds so fun. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Hooray for talking indeed. I always thought the kissing on both cheeks was pretty cool.

Maeghan said...

Laura. That is exactly what I told İdil today. There is Pepsi in some places, but you're ten times more likely to come across Coke. The kissing on both cheeks is way wonderful. I vote we all start it in Canada. Tamam mı? (That's Okay as a question).

Linda said...

That would be awesome if people didn't start staring at us weirdly and avoid us everywhere we go from then on. (sadly)