Saturday, October 18, 2008

Maeghan's Bus Adventure

So guess what guys! I got on the wrong bus today. Oh, don't worry. Here I am blogging, it all turned out okay. But basically to make a long story short I got on some bus with the number 89, which all the other busses I've ever taken have had. This bus then took me to places I had never seen before. I decided to get off of this strange bus at the busiest bus stop I saw. There I found a map and discovered that if I waited another bus may come to take me to the correct part of İstanbul. This bus took me through more unfamiliar territory and I was at the point where I was mentally comparing who it would be best to call when I saw a sign pointing in the direction the bus was turning that said 'Halkalı'!!! With renewed hope I pocketed my cell phone and watched as the bus followed all the signs pointing toward my home. When things got familiar I was practically ecstatic. AND when I finally got off the bus in front of my apartment, well I could barely contain my glee. That's right guys. Made it home by myself, fixed my own mistake, and was only three minutes past my curfew. Which it turns out didn't matter, because no one was home. Good grief! Where was my over-helpful host family? Suddenly my stress level went right back up. What ever would I do? Wait.. there's a reason Melek is on speed dial. I called her, and the connection was bad, but I managed to ask where she was (I think at her new apartment) and convey that I was at home. So hopefully she turns up soon.

9 comments:

laura said...

Oh my God. Listen to you. LISTEN TO YOU!!!!

"I'm in a foreign country that speaks and foreign language that I've only been in for two and a half months AND I got the wrong bus, got lost and managed to find my way back home, on time, so it's okay now!"

If I were in your shoes, my head would have exploded the minute I realized I was on the wrong bus. As in freaking out to the point of no brain function remaining. Way to stay calm!

You are a super-hero.

Linda said...

haha wow CONGRATULATIONS! I would be frightened if I were in that situation. good job maeghan! at least all bus systems are pretty universal in that the busiest bus stops are the best way to go...

Savannah said...

Whenever you're stressed, just think of me.

It will make everything better ;)

HAHA Just kidding, love youu. Proud of you :D

Kathleen said...

Ha ha, I couldn't even take the bus here alone. That's awesome of you!

Maeghan said...

And while I was waiting for my new bus- the correct bus- all I could thing of was "The bus, oh bus, is late."
I don't know why I wasn't freaking out, actually.

Kathleen said...

HA HA! YES! Awesome!

Linda said...

I have to say, the lyrics you guys came up with are pretty great.

Maeghan said...

Man, we have some mad skills. No one can write blues like us.

laura said...

Oh, bus.