Sunday, September 21, 2008

Another Weekend

We visited the beach house again this weekend. There wasn't as much to do because it's gotten colder- cold enough that we didn't go to the beach to swim. And it's been raining at night, which means that everything is wet all the time. Anyways, we got some bread from the bread shop across from our house and ripped it up into pieces and put it on cardboard trays and poured milk all over it and put it out for the cats. It was so much fun. There were dozens there. Okay, maybe only A dozen, but it's still a lot. Then after we had chicken for supper, we ripped up more bread and let it soak in whatever the chicken had been soaking in and put that out for the cats.

Then this morning we did the milk and bread again. There were also two dogs that tried to get in on the free food. One was bold and attempted to aproach the ten hungry cats.. Unsuccessfully. So we fed that one seperately. Then there was another that sort of came and watched but was afraid of everything- cats, cars, loud noises, innocent Canadians aproaching with food. So we had to put the food down sort of away from where we were standing and try to keep the cats from getting too close to the fraidy-dog. This occupied the majority of my morning. Then it was back to loud İstanbul.

Yesterday was a really good day. I was able to converse with my host family and understand them. So much so that Günar pointed it out. Then we had these çokosandviçlar as a celebration. Yes, chocosandwiches. They're pretty excellent. And Melek and I had a lot of fun feeding the cats, and naming them too. I decided to name the regulars and started out with Turkish names, but when I started to run out I called one "Rufus", which had Melek laughing so hard she had to sit down.

Also, and I don't think I've mentioned it, the way people motion for you to come (come= gel, pronounced gal) is different, and I usually stay where I am until they come get me because I just don't recognise it. Every time it seems like they're motioning me away. Just something I thought might me interesting.

-Maeghan

4 comments:

Linda said...

Haha a dozen cats is quite a few. Sounds so fun!

Whoa my rice cooker is making weird screeching noises.

Poor dogs. heh

I knew your Turkish would be fine after a while. Don't worry too much.

How do they motion for you to come?

Kathleen said...

I need to learn a language. It sounds like fun. And sorry I commented on a million entries all today. I don't know if you got a lot of notification type things or anything. Our good computer has a virus, so I haven't been on...

laura said...

That is really weird that you named a cat Rufus! I just found another cat on my driveway a few days ago and we finally caught it after an owl tried to eat it- which is totally beside the point, sorry!- and it was orange and fluffy so we called it Rupert!!

Wow that does not sound as strangely coincidental, now that I've written it out. OK, sorry. I'm done making stupid comments for now.

OOH! One more! Sorry! I just thought that isn't it INSANELY AWESOME to realize that you can hold a conversation in TWO languages?!?! I mean, if you include Spanish, three! You are practically trilingual! And when you get back, you will be FULLY FREAKING TRILINGUAL!!! That is SO COOL!

OK, now I'm done.

Maeghan said...

Laura, my spanish sucks. I've forgotten nearly all the conversational aspects. I'll have to move to... Mexico!