Monday, September 22, 2008

Fear Not The Crimson Flag & My Wedding Dress!

Random title, I know. I don't have much to say today except that as the school bus was taking me home today, I spotted in a store window the dress I want to have for my wedding dress. There are lots of shops here with wedding dresses and grad dresses and the like, so this dress in the window wasn't an unusual sight. But today it caught my eye. It isn't the most beautiful dress I've ever seen, but there's just something about it (and don't get me wrong, it is beautiful). I am absolutely in love with that dress. If I knew how to get there, I would probably go buy it- that's how much I love it.

Anyways, school's good. I bought my English books today. The textbook is boring, but the workbook reminds me of grade 6 "Language Power" or whatever it was called. You know the one I'm talking about. Phonics we liked, the other one we didn't. This workbook is similar to the other one, but I love it because it's simple.

Every Monday before school and Friday after, we sing the national anthem. And people actually sing! Also, there is this very animated lady who conducts us. She does a lot of arm waving and sings loudly and marks the time for the pianist. The Turkish national anthem is pretty sweet. It fills me with a sense of pride, and I'm not even from this country! I will have to learn the words so that I can sing with everyone else (and so that I can put on a show for all of you when I get home!). I find myself humming it all the time because it gets stuck in my head. Like now.

My favorite TV show is on tonight, and I'm afraid that when I learn enough Turkish to understand what's happening I'll be disappointed in it. So although I'm dead tired, I will be staying up to enjoy Aşk-ı Memnu while I still have no idea what's going on.

-Maeghan

5 comments:

Linda said...

I look forward to you singing us the Turkish anthem.

laura said...

Language Power! I remember Language Power! I hated it! It had those stupid pages on hard, stupid things and my stupid pencil always wrote really light and squeaked because the stupid pages were made of stupid paper! Did that happen to you?

YOU SHOULD BUY THAT WEDDING DRESS!!!!!

Sorry. I shouldn't encourage irrational behavior. But I would do it.

I, also, am extremely excited to hear you sing that national anthem!

Linda said...

You know what just made my night? (amongst the stupid coat of arms poster, the English paragraph, the stupider (yes I know, not a word, but it describes how I feel very well) paragraph that describes my coat of arms and how nation impacts identity) I was on thesaurus.com and apparently there’s a “Spanish Word of the Day”. The word was “narigón”. And here was the description: “If somebody is particularly well endowed in the nasal department, you can describe them as narigón. For example, “un chico flaco y narigón” means a skinny boy with a large nose.” Oh man, but isn’t that a lovely description? Wow. “particularly well endowed in the nasal department….” I love the technicality of it. Anyway, now back to writing about how obsessions can be harmless or destructive (harmless: obsessing over LSA; destructive: obsessing to the point of wanting to bash competition with a mallet and wanting to capture him and stash into him a laundry cart for our own private enjoyment (as in a concert. Wow that sounded wrong.) and most likely serving him “green tea” and tying him up in the process…) Ah….well hopefully this will make my mood a bit better for colouring my coat of arms later…goshdarnit why did it have to be so big?

oh Laura. I just saw irrational behaviour pop out from her comment. And I believe it may fit the plan I just described above. But I would do it. (as she said)

oh man Laura you made my night too. "the stupid pages were made of stupid paper" really.

Linda said...

And also, I would like to add that despite the fact the show 90210 is...well, could be improved on, the character Ty Collins (yes the same guy I mentioned earlier who was singing Spring Awakening and was ridiculously and unallowably rich) is actually not half bad looking. Because a lot of the times I can see no merit whatsoever in the guys they choose for shows for the girl to fall in love with. Why do I mention this? Because the guy who plays him is called Adam. Yes, Adam. But no, no one could ever beat the one and only LSA. *ridiculously romantic and fainthearted sigh* ho man.

Kathleen said...

You should describe/find a picture of that dress! To Laura and Linda: "Ha ha!" sums up what I would say about your comments without a lot of extra words. Like these that I am typing now. Ok. Bye.