Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sol. Sol. Sol, Sağ, Sol.

Physical Education. That's right guys. Last January I was thrilled because I was done with phys ed forever! Yes! Well.. it wasn't meant to be. Although gym class here is rather amusing...

No one had their gym clothes today, thank goodness. Or else who knows what they would have done with me. But we get into the gymnasium (I didn't even know we had one, although we have a pool, so I should have assumed they'd have a gym too) and split into boys and girls. Oh! The other Literature Stream 11th Year class was with us too. And then from there we split into classes and then ordered ourselves within the girls of class 11 TM D from tallest to shortest (I was fourth in line! Go me!). Then every other student stepped to the left and up one so that we were in pairs then sets of pairs got into pairs so that by the time we were done we were in lines of four. Then we rotated and started marching. Not kidding. Then we marched in different directions and rotated 90 degrees and sometimes 180 degrees and the teacher was saying "Sol, sol, sol-sağ-sol. Sol, sol, uç, dört, beş, altı!" That's when we turn. And it was ridiculous. We did that for like, 15 minutes and then everyone went and sat in some bleachers and we watched as 8 guys decided they wanted to play basketball. And they played shirts and uniforms (this took me a long time to figure out.. I was like- Why did he take off his polo? Why isn't the teacher scolding him for not wearing his uniform? lol) and it was a group of boys from my class vs. a group from the other class. And the rest of us just talked. Apparently we go swimming "after two weeks". I don't know if they mean every other week or every third week. So I will just have to ask all the time. And also, I don't know when I next have gym, thus when to bring my gym clothes. Whatever. Yet again someone told the teacher that I don't speak Turkish, so it'll all be fine.

Oh! And as for why we don't do anything- apparently the teachers get sick of hearing the students complain and so they let them do what they want. This is common, says İbike.

PS. I got a phone today and couldn't figure out how to work it so I handed it to one of my classmates who takes the same bus as me and he changed it to English for me! This made me so happy, you don't even know. It turns out the reason I couldn't do anything is because you have to hit "unlock" and then * to unlock the screen... I didn't even know you could change the language! Heh. Also, phone numbers here start with 0 and then have 3 numbers and then another 3 numbers and then instead of writing the last 4 numbers together they split them into 2 and 2. Did that make sense? Let's look at an example- o123.454.32.10

8 comments:

Linda said...

wow. I wish our teachers let us do whatever we wanted because we complained a lot.

Kathleen said...

Your gym class sounds sweet. Really sweet!

Actually, it sounds kind of like my French class. Except for the marching.

And WHAT?!?! My brain is malfunctioning looking at that phone number.

Allen said...

Holy crap 11 digit phone # and I thought 10 was a lot.
That gym class is so weird like military training or something.
Everything sounds great .

Maeghan said...

I know! I am so excited for swimming in gym! And for gym in general. And all of my teachers let me do whatever I want. I spent all day reading a book.
Lol. Allen, when I figure out what they're saying, I'll tell you about before school rituals as well. (There's a lot of standing at attention and like.. feet apart, feet together, hands behind your back, hands at your side, etc. PLUS the marching commands in gym class.) The gym teacher totally makes me think of G.I. Joe..

Linda said...

aha I love soldiers and their stiff marching (like the chinese ones at the olympics)

which book?

laura said...

Was I the only one who, when you described how the guys played basketball, thought you were going to say they played shirts and NO shirts?! I definitely want to be in YOUR gym class! But you didn't actually say that...

Maeghan said...

I know eh? But we do go swimming either every other week or every third week...

Linda said...

haha oh laura...