Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ups and Downs

Today was one of those days where all you want to do is stay in bed. I got to school late (traffic, I guess) and thank goodness there is a boy from my class on my bus because he explained to the teacher and I just entered the classroom behind him. Idil was not at school today. During one of the many breaks I was sitting alone at my desk, noticing how much of an outsider I am. Everyone else gets up and goes to talk to someone on the other side of the classroom or out in the hallway or to find a friend from a different class. I have no one to talk to and nothing to start a conversation with, ignoring the fact that I speak a completely different language. And as I'm sitting at my desk, watching the people in the hallway, a girl in the classroom across from me catches my eye. She is also sitting at her desk, but with two friends with her. She grins, says something, and the other girls look at me and laugh. Then one of them (still looking at me) imitates my pose. More laughter. Wow. Mocked by grade 10 girls in a foreign country.



So needless to say, I'm feeling pretty down. Then I finish my book (Snow by Orhan Pamuk) and I'm thinking 'Shoot. Now I'll have nothing to do.' when the teacher (this is Geography) asks me what the weather is like in Canada. After my short description (Hot in the summer, cold in the winter- okay, so I elaborated more than that) I sit back down and the class starts talking. Now Buşra asks me if I would like to go somewhere in İstanbul with all of them. Yes, I would. So on October 6th (some random school holiday) my class is taking me... somewhere. I don't know how this will work or even what exactly is happening, but I will be doing something with my classmates outside of school! Suddenly, I found myself in a very good mood.



-Maeghan

PS. Buşra spins her pen the same way Mitch Canham does.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your October 6th plan -whatever it is sounds great.
xoz
Mom

Savannah said...

LOL @ MITCH CANHAM.

btw, next time you make eye contact with one of those girls, mock them back hahahaaa LOVE YOU!

Maeghan said...

Lol. Will do, Savannah. And it was totally weird to find myself thinking of Mitch of ALL people.

I am so excited for October 6th I'm already thinking about what to wear. I know. I'm obsessing.

Rowan said...

October 6th sounds so great! Its good that you're class is adopting you like that!


Pee dot ess: Those girls make me angry D:<

Linda said...

wow. story of my life right there. stupid girls. (now I'll have that Pink song stuck in my head all night)

Have fun on the 6th!

Kathleen said...

Wow. Some people are so rude! But you know it doesn't really matter what rude people like that think!

laura said...

It's funny to think that there are snot-head (is that hyphenated?) girls like that is other countries, isn't it?

And you will have so much fun with your class!