Thursday, September 25, 2008

What exactly is Active Future Perfect Continuous?

(Answer, using the verb walk- will have been walking. Passive Past Simple with the verb sell? it was sold )

Two things to say today. Only two. (I'm thinking that if I say that, I won't go off in random directions like I usually do.) First, I met a Calgarian today. Way random, eh? So I'm coming out of the dining hall and a teacher stops me to talk.
Teacher "Are you the American?" (That'd be Emily, attending grade 12 at my school)
Me "No, I'm from Canada."
Teacher "Oh really? Me too. What part?"
Me "Alberta." The warning bell goes.
Teacher "Me too. Calgary, to be exact."
Me "Oh! I'm from Medicine Hat."
Teacher "Okay. It was nice talking to you." We're both already walking in opposite directions to get to class on time.
Me "Yes, it was nice to meet you!"
Cool. Random Canadian teacher at my school talked to me today.

The second thing is that Mr. Wright assigned Unit 1 for homework over Bayram (week-long holiday, yes!) and then gave us class time to work on it. I am painfully reminded of grade 5 when I work on the questions. Anyways, I had to fill in a table with different forms of the verb work. Past; Present; Future; Past, Present, and Future Perfect. All of those in both Simple and Continuous, and then ALL OF THOSE (yes, that's 12 different forms of the verb work) both Active and Passive. Did that make any sense at all? I'll show you the chart when I get home. Anyways, I don't know the difference between active and passive or past, present, and future regular and perfect. So I ask the teacher. He barely knows, and can't describe the differences between some of them. In the end, my Turkish classmates had to explain the different tenses to the two native english-speakers. Lol. Everything else I just know. This sounds right, that doesn't. But the verb tables kill me.

So that's the hilights of the day. I'll mention (even thought that makes three things) that I have an orientation weekend this weekend, so I'll have lots of exciting stuff to tell you (I hope) on Monday. Also, there is no school next week, so I won't have much to say after that. I miss you all, I don't think I've said that. But it's true.

-Maeghan

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a fabulous weekend Miss Maeg! I'm sure you'll learn lots this weekend and have a blast with the other exchange students. Do you have plans for next week while you're off school?

We love you and miss you too.
xo,
Mom

Paul Jerry said...

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you for instance how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations whilst you are actually travelling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own father or mother.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semi-Conditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up: and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

Linda said...

wtf? I did not get that first part. ah..now I do. But still...what?

Calgarian teacher! Wow, he may be the only one in all of Turkey that knows where Medicine Hat is!

Ah, I like how the teacher barely knows. Eek. Wow. The non-english people know better english than we do. Figures. (Although that doesn't count me...because I still don't know english that well...pfft)

Miss you too! Of course.

Kathleen said...

WE MISS YOU TOO!

Ok now, what?! Apparently I barely understand the English language! I suspect that all second language teachers somehow make it harder to understand the language with all these charts and stuff. Or at least more confusing. I think the way you are doing it is the right way to go. What with actually going to the country and learning. But I guess that wouldn't work for everyone in my French class to go to France every day.

ANYWAY... I hope you enjoy this next pointless thought. This also applies to Linda, really:

I thought to myself how nice it was in math today to hear Mrs. Burry say "GCF" without cries of "GCF!!!" and laughter coming from my left...

Linda said...

let me guess...kyle?

laura said...

HA HA! And the rules of the English language (my first and ONLY language) go RIGHT over my head! Good stuff!

I MISS YOU SO MUCH TOO!!!!
Every time I do anything, I'm thinking "Wouldn't it be fun if Maeghan was here?" And I'm not exaggerating. Every morning at the bench, I still always think (and sometimes say out loud) "Why isn't Maeghan here yet? She's always here first!"

I MISS YOU!

PS: You know those word verification things we have to fill out? Today, mine was ugpuff! UGPUFF!! Ha ha!

Savannah said...

Stupid english language.
Hahaa.

Kathleen said...

Ha ha, yeah.

Anonymous said...

Paul, it's disturbing how similarly we think.

With that out of the way I have to think this is similar to my learning French. I actually wish we had a French kid so he could explain it instead of the graphing words method.

I'd rather learn by absorbing, which you get the advantage to.

Lucky.

Linda said...

Miss you so much Maeghan!

Jayden said...

I totally know what you mean about the tenses and stuff. In my dutch for dummies book it said "the perfect tense is formed with an auxiliary plus the past participle of the verb." i was like "what???"

Maeghan said...

It's amazing how well these kids speak based on the random activities in their books. Plus the one English teacher has rather poor English. I can understand her most of the time, but she makes mistakes all the time.