Saturday, December 13, 2008

Vampirlar

So! Something I forgot to mention last time. Our last night in the mountains, my family played a game called "Vampirlar" or Vampires. Every played Mafia? Or Werewolf? It's the same game, except of course, there are vampires. They must have thought I was pretty odd when half way through the explanation (Most of them were playing it for the first time, so the rules were being explained for everyone) I burst out with an "Oooo! Biliyorum!" It was really fun, and I ended up being the.. I don't know what the name is.. the person who narrarates it. Which involved speaking in Turkish. Go me.

Yesterday I went to Mattie's new house for a sleepover. Her apartment has an underground swimming pool, so of course we had to try it out. And we were the only ones there. Private pool party! We also watched a bunch of English television, and had a great time with the cute British people on BBC. Seriously? I love England. Also, Pimp My Ride, Smallville, Asideorderoflife, and countless music videos, in English and Turkish. It was great.

Tomorrow is my last day of holidays. *Sigh*. It was so nice to sleep in. I'm pretty sure I won't do much tomorrow. I'm getting tired of this city. To get to Taksim is an average 2 hours. Taxim is the center of the European side. This means that to hang out with anyone for the day, I have to add in 4 hours of travel time. FOUR HOURS. That's like.. I could go to Lethbridge, shop for an hour, and come home in that amount of time. It takes me less time to go to my cabin. Plus, everything is super expensive here, so even if I go to Taksim, chances are I won't buy what I'm looking for because I won't have found, say, a pair of shoes for less than 100 YTL. There's no snow, no holiday cheer, nothing to lift my spirits.

Today I tried to shop for new school shoes (the principal wants me to get new ones because my current ones are "bad" and I will get sick because they are too thin so my feet must get cold). They need to be brown or black, and all the kids in my class wear brown, so brown I set out to find. Well! There are no flipping brown lace-up shoes that aren't converse or 400 YTL in all of FREAKING İstanbul. And my host mom kept saying that, too. That they are very hard to find. Where the heck do my classmates shop? And how can there be no brown shoes in a city with millions of people? Jeez. I needed.. something today. I don't know what, but a lifter-upper. And it wasn't there. All there was were grey buildings and grey moods and grey lifeless plants under a grey winter sky.

Okay Maeghan, buck up! "There's always tomorrow, the sun always rises, sometimes the future is full of suprises." A little Princess Diaries Soundtrack for annoyingly cheerful feel-goood songs. I'll work on this attitude.

Love you all,
Maeghan

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

Ha ha! I have the Princess Diaries soundtrack too!

Maeghan said...

I really liked Crush. For like, a year. It was my favorite song.

Linda said...

What's the exchange rate?

Look on the bright side...it's not -24 degrees with -36 wind chill.

Does it snow a lot there?

Maeghan said...

Snow? What is snow? I saw it on the news once.
Guess where it was snowing. Kars. This is only funny if you know Turkish. Kars means snow in Turkish. Now it's funny. Or not.
It doesn't snow, it just gets cool. And not really cold enough to complain, but not warm enought to want to do something active like go for a run.
I don't actually know the current exchange rate, but the CAD is higher than the YTL. 1.4 or 1.4 YTL is 1 USD I think. Whatever. Maybe I should look it up.

Linda said...

Seriously? I can't believe it when people say they haven't ever seen snow in their life before. I can't imagine a life without knowing the feeling of stepping into knee-high snow and having that wonderful icy feeling of snow melting in my shoes, freezing my already cold toes, and then slipping on a patch of ice to land on my behind, right as my school bus leaves.

They have a place called Snow? That's pretty cool. It's like snowing in Snow and eating turkey in Turkey. Ah ha.

Right now we have a lovely WIND CHILL WARNING in effect and it's -29 (not including wind chill).

Linda said...

I have enough snow outside my house that I'm tempted to learn how to make an igloo. Because they say inside igloos it's actually not that cold. Except making it would mean exposing myself to the cold. So. That eliminates that otherwise totally amazing idea.

*Linda steps outside to huddle in the igloo that she made, despite the fact that it's falling (since she made it) and that her house is right beside her, which is heated to a nice toasty room temperature. But no, she'd rather camp out in an igloo at -29 degrees, because it's an igloo and it was too tempting.* That would be me if it wasn't too cold to make one. Which defeats the whole purpose of everything.

Maeghan said...

Heh. I don't know about igloos, but I've slept in a Quincy at -30.
We built it on the ice and Sophie and I slept in it.