Thursday, January 1, 2009

I Was In 2009 Before You!

Yes, I'm immature. Yes, it doesn't matter. But I will fully brag about it anyways. I was in 2009 how many hours earlier? 9. I get nine more hours in 2009 than you do. Bet you're jealous.

Anyways.. on to the festivities. Like I promised you all before I left... I ate turkey in Turkey on New Years which is like Christmas. Anyone remember me telling you I'd do it? Ta-da!!

School was one long party, as we didn't have any classes nor did we have to wear uniforms. We hung out and danced and ate food. It was good. Then, after school we headed over to Asia to my host uncle and aunt's house where we ate a nice dinner and watched tv until midnight. Oh! And we played bingo! Not only did I manage to lose every single round, but I also got to call out the numbers once! This was very exciting because I knew all of them. Except that my host grandmother needed them repeated to her every single time. This made everyone really annoyed by the end of that round. I would announce something like "kirk iki" (42) and she would say what and everyone would say "kirk iki anne! Dinle!" (42 mom, listen!). So I only ended up calling for one round.

We also exchanged gifts, and I gave everyone a card on which I attempted to write messages in Turkish. No one asked what I meant, so I think they were all correct. About 15 minutes after midnight I went to bed, because I'm getting another cold. Jeez!

Happy New Year everyone, Hoş Geldiniz 2009!

-Maeghan

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Happy New Year, Maeghan!

Linda said...

Haha nice. Canada is one of the last places to go into the new year...although I'm not sure if Hawaii is behind or ahead of us in time.

YAY! TURKEY IN TURKEY!

Do people actually dance at the dances there?

Hope you get better!

I'm beginning to like your host grandmother more and more.