Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Guilt and Taiwan

Wednesday schedules this semester are waaay lame. I went to first period then hung out all day in the Foreign Language Department, with the intent of going to the last two classes (okay.. I know that that's less than half of my classes.. but come on! Math? Literature? Ugh. I almost hung out with Jimena's class for a lesson, but they wanted me to dance x_x)

In predictable FLD style, I was more or less doing nothing all day.. up until about 5 minutes before the class I wanted to go to. So I missed philosophy. Which had me sort of sad, because I like that class.

But anyways. I finish what I'm doing in philosophy and have half an hour left before my last class. Nothing to do. About ten minutes before THAT bell, one of the teachers approaches me asking if I can go do the photocopying (The Photocopy Man wasn't there today- I got to work the stupid machine by myself. Saved me time AND I didn't have to wait for thirty other assignments to be copied first!). It needed to be done before four today. Except that I said no. I have never said no before. I always accept their jobs. So I felt really, really guilty.

But the thing was, my class was seeing a presentation by a girl from Taiwan and I really wanted to go. And I did! And it was lots of fun. By the end I no longer felt bad about not doing the photocopying. It isn't my job anyways... (but still.. I feel obligated to help)

This girl (Vikki? I don't know how she spells her name..) is part of a program through AIESAC called "Meet My Friends" and she and a bunch of other university students go around the world presenting about their countries. She is absolutely adorable! And she talks about typhoons the way we talk about "big snow" (blizzards? hehe). It was hillarious! There are two more days of presentation from her and then maybe we'll also get to see the girl from Poland or the guy from Italy?! One can hope.

-Maeghan

8 comments:

Paul Jerry said...

I can't imagine comparing a typhoon to a blizzard. When the blizzard melts, everything turns green. When the typhoon stops... is there anything left to turn green?

Rowan said...

Oh gosh! That's sweet! To be able to travel to a different country and learn about it and tell them about your country, what an amazing experience! We should totally do that!

Oh right! We are. >.<

Anyways, it still sounds like a bunch of fun!

P.s. Learning the survival phrases you mentioned. Harder than it looks.

Maeghan said...

No kidding, eh?
Trust me, you will LOVE being able to say "Bed?" when you arrive.

ROFL. My word is "gobaspit" Gob of spit. hehehehe.

Carly said...

NOTE THE PART WHERE UPDATING HAS OCCURRED.

Unknown said...

Don't feel guilty! You're not a teacher assistant after all...

Linda said...

You're going to be so overjoyed when you come back to a full day of school! Granted it won't take as long to travel to and from school, but nevertheless....there will be more math to make you hate your life...I wish I were with you...

A Polish girl and an Italian boy? That definitely beats CALM class and having our teacher tell us girls to imagine that a hot Aussie was coming to visit and that we wanted to impress them so we had to learn time management skills in order to be able to earn enough money for a $500 dress. Seriously? I'm not spending that much money for a guy that I have never met or known. Except we had a sub who was giving the lesson, and he had a speech defect so whenever he said "girls" it sounded like "gills".

Linda said...

PS. If you do meet someone from Poland, ask them what Poland is like! (I'm still hoping to get into that music camp there...)

Kathleen said...

Aw, don't worry about the photocopying. The presentation sounded fun though!

And WHAT, Linda??? CALM kind of sounds like a... Strange class?