Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nobody Loves Canada (Cold Feet)

Today was the last day of outbound orientation and here that means they were choosing their countries. Which means that Rotary wanted all of us to try and advertise. Which is a great idea, except that everyone comes with a country already in mind.

Sooo. I was all alone, every other table having at least 5 inbounds and half a dozen outbounds. AND I was freakishly red. And let's face it- Canada is not seen as a party country.

We introduced ourselves to the parents after we hung out with the inbounds over lunch and then the outbounds introduced themselves and said what country they wanted to go to.
America
Brazil
Mexico
Italy
Australia
Germany
Thailand
We didn't even have anyone there from the last four... Ouch. So after that bitter disappointment (I feel like a bad Canadian!) and a bus full of Canadian jokes back to İstanbul, 8 of us went paintballing!

Done laughing yet? Because I definitely DID manage to hit one person, and capture the flag! SO THERE. Also? I only got hit once. Hahaha. Actually? I had more fun picking up the paintballs that hadn't burst and throwing them at people.. but whatever.

Fun as it was, this left me wet, cold, and on a different continent from the one I live on by the time it got dark. My shoes won't be dry in time for school tomorrow. So going home pretty much sucked. AND I couldn't find a dolmuş ("pirate taxi" as they're known in English?) to Taksim so I decided to walk. AND when I got on my bus there were no more seats. AND I was carrying a whole bunch of books on Canada. But the thought of the döner I had bought before boarding the bus kept me happy, and it was well worth the wait. I won't start on my love for döner... maybe another blog.

However, there was a group of like.. 8 boys on the bus, and they were talking about me. (YES, I DO UNDERSTAND YOU.) Me in my red blazer and Canada shirt and carrying a Canada bag and (I had forgotten..) a temporary "I <3 Canada" tattoo on my cheek. Talk about subtle. Everyone else is in like.. dark blues, blacks, browns- then there's "Canadia" as I have been nicknamed.

Speaking of this nickname, the person who gave it to me called me while I was walking to Taksim because he wanted to make sure I'd made it back to Europe okay. Aw.

Sooo, there ya go! And happy belated Valentine's Day. I love you all!
-Maeghan

3 comments:

Paul Jerry said...

Don't fret. Canada was Mikko's first pick of country.

Linda said...

Pfft...those people were just abnormal. You go to other places and they love Canada!

What's the difference between a regular taxi and a pirate taxi? Is there a difference, other than the fact that one sounds so much better?

Haha I like it...Maeghan going full out Canadian! Way to bring a little bit of Canada to Turkey. I'm sure you brightened up the bus.

Kathleen said...

Ha ha ha, poor Canada... Happy belated to you too!