Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Television

So I've been thinking about telling you all about the TV for a while now, but I just haven't gotten around to it until now.

The television is on ALL THE TIME, which was really weird for me at first since I don't watch TV. We watch like, every soap opera there is (Turkish soap operas, mind you) and news over supper. After school my host grandmother watches this match-making show.. mildly entertaining when they dance. But anyways. The thing that really makes it good is the fact that my grandmother also talks to the television.

Oh! And so there is this TV show that we catch weekends over breakfast (and by breakfast I mean 10- 11 am) and it recaps EVERYTHING we watched the night before on TV. Seriously? Waste of my life. Why not just watch the recap? Or why not replace the recap with like.. infomercials- at least you'd make money.

The news station we watch "Star Haber" uses the Pirates of the Caribbean theme sometimes in the background of their news clips (I guess it's epic-sounding or something...) I've learned lots of important words like "earthquake", "marine", and "riot" by watching the news. And I've noticed that I see some sort of riot on tv almost every night. I sort of re-realized this tonight. I've become desensitized apparently.

Tonight while watching the news there was this clip on the "Sea Soldiers" who are off to Sumaria to go and fight pirates (?). Anyways, it's a touching families-saying-goodbye-to-their-sons/husbands/fathers thing, and as the young men board the boat and it leaves the docks it's in slow-motion. And my host grandmother comments that gee, "the boat isn't moving very fast is it?" ROFL. Melek and I cracked up.

Sorry for the kind of helter-skelter lack of format. I'm kind of distracted by my sadness at Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Even though I've seen it before. I just feel so bad for him!

Oh goodness! Look at my wrist- time to go!
Maeghan

3 comments:

EmilyRose said...

Hahahhaha. That is funny that it was in slow motion. I don't watch T.V either!!!
And I love pirates of the caribean!!!!!!!!!!
And I agree with you about the recap, they have them here too for the soap operas, I just don't see the point...lol
And I feel so special that I used a turkish word...hehehe

Kathleen said...

I laughed out loud about the boat...! And yay Dr. Horrible!

Linda said...

Haha your grandma is so adorable.