Monday, November 3, 2008

Addressing Everyone's Comments

Mado sells really freaking delicious raspberry icecream, plus it's a chain, so you can get it all over, not just in Taksim. Although I like the restaraunt there, it's pretty snazzy.  And it's further down Taksim street, so the crowds have thinned out by then.
Taksim is a huge shopping district, and I'd compare the main street (which is automobile free) to most hallways at school in between classes.  It's not unbearable, and once you get onto a side street it's not bad at all, but of course I go nuts having to walk really slow.  Also, there is this tram that runs straight down the center of the street.  (I'll take a picture next time.) And basically you have to move.  Heh.  Also, there are always people with protest magazines.  Plus!  People just don't move to the side when you're walking towards them.  Y'know how each person sort of takes a step to the side, and together you don't hit each other?  Well here it's like a game of chicken and I always step partially and try to stare the other person down, but they'll just walk into you.  It's weird.
I dunno if the busses here are nicer.  Some are, but some have school bus seats.  It depends.  The double-decker busses are really nice.  Like totem busses.  When I rode one it reminded me of an airplane.  I was excited.  What isn't so cool is when there are so many people on the bus that they can't open the doors.  It is super uncomfortable and your legs go numb from standing in one position but you can't move because there are people EVERYWHERE.
As for donkeys... not so much.  But we do have horses every now and then.  It's pretty random.  They pull carts of garbage.  What I really like though, is sometimes you'll see someone grazing sheep in a patch of grass.  I've seen horses, sheep, and geese, all within the city.
Speaking of the city, it's actually a bunch of municipalities together.  Kind of cool.  So I don't actually live in İstanbul the municipality.  Interesting to know. 
Maeghan



Get your information fix on your phone. With MSN Mobile you get regular news, sports and  finance updates. Try it today!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Death to slow hallway walkers. And torturous deaths by binder-whacking to slow hallway walkers who slow down EVEN SLOWER.
No side-step dances? What is that? But I guess the awkwardness level may be the same if you walk into them.

Ugh, I sympathize with the crowded buses. And then of course a lady will come on when it's already full and she's carrying a bazillion bags that whack everyone as she makes her way through. Like hello? Why do you need to move further into the bus and hit everyone? You obviously can't make it through so why even bother? Or for that matter, you should just wait outside for the next bus, which is probably right behind this one! Ugh. Grudge.

Grazing sheep in the city? That is awesome! yumuşak heart!

laura said...

Hmm.. Sounds like Linda has had a bad experience with ladies in buses with bags. Ha ha! I almost typed ladies with buses! Oops.

Kathleen said...

Dude, I think I should open up a Mado here. That sounds good. And what the heck!? I would be so troubled if people wouldn't step to the side! Except at least there wouldn't be that thing where you step to the side, but the other person does too, and you do a little dance...

Kathleen said...

Oh wow. I just said the SAM THIS AS LINDA.

Wow, I actually meant, THE SAME THING AS LINDA. Oops. But I will leave that.