Monday, November 24, 2008

Teachers' Day

Phew! Where to start? Today was Teachers' Day, so there was this assembly after lunch in the theater. It started out with singing the national anthem, which I now know most of the words to. Then some little kids performed and although I have no idea what they were saying they were adorable!

I can't remember all the acts, but at one point the English teachers put on a play about globalization in Turkish. Again, I didn't know what anyone was saying, but it was funny anyways. Plus, all the students were laughing their pants off. Afterwards, İdil asked me if I liked it and I told her I did but that I couldn't understand it and she said "Neither could we!" Heh. Nice try English department.

A group of four students put on this dance thing that I adored. Also, the teachers sang and played instruments and one petite woman in an absolutely adorable outfit sang some song that everyone knew, and even though she wasn't amazing, everyone loved it and she was having fun. It was great.

At the end it was really peppy, upbeat, and fun- and nothing like what I'd see in Canada. Just as I was thinking "gee, next thing you know this'll morph into a dance party!" Please Don't Stop the Music or whatever the song's called came on and the four students who danced earlier got on stage and dragged teachers up there and invited everyone to dance with them. I was grinning like a complete idiot. Not very many people danced though, so pretty soon we all had to return to class. Our last class was English, and for part of the class students got up and acted like teachers, and even though I didn't entirely understand what they were saying, it was fun to watch.

On the bus home from school some of the little kids were talking to me in English and Turkish and some jerks behind me were making fun of us. Grr. I'd like to see how you feel in a foreign country being made fun of by people five years younger than you. But I just ignored them. At one point the boy sitting beside me (the one who was trying to teach me Turkish a month ago) drew a picture on the foggy window. Two stick people, one tall and one short, holding hands. He then labelled the little one "Ben" and the bigger one "Sen". "You" and "Me". Awwww!

After school I accidentally wished my host grandmother a 'good morning!' rather than a 'good evening'. Heh. My bad.

-Maeghan

4 comments:

Linda said...

Haha wow. I love poor attempts at English.

Grinning like a complete idiot...reminds me of me and someone I know...on a certain Saturday night...well actually, anytime it's even mentioned...

Good on you for ignoring those jerks!

AW that is SO cute! so cute...

Haha that's awesome.

No mention of the beanpole? I'll be sure to tell the others in any case.

Unknown said...

I've always considered it the greatest honour to be liked by a child or a dog. They lack the filters/manners that people develop as they grow older so if they like you it is a great compliment Chickadee. Enjoy your packages!
love mom
I'll put another in the mail to you this week is their anything you are particularly wanting?

laura said...

What the heck?!? Why don't our Teacher's Days end up in dance parties?!? We don't HAVE Teacher's days!

Do you seriously listen to Rihanna over there?

Is it just me or are the word verifications getting longer?
Do I talk about those to much?

Kathleen said...

Ok wow, I need to keep up with the blog! I'm still going to comment on all of them...