Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Feed the Birds, Toppins a Bag!


Yesterday I picked up my residency permit at the police station. Fun stuff. Afterwards, we all headed to Taksim (when do we not head to Taksim?) where İşil bought seeds from a man, and we fed the pigeons. See photo.
Carlea and I went and found the book store we like, then headed to her house in Asia where we ate rice and chatted about things like The X-Files and cute Canadian actors. All in all it was a good day. On my way home I had to go back through Taksim (since it is the only place I know how to take a bus to my house from) and decided to take some photos for y'all. Taksims square is sort of like the Time Square of İstanbul. At least that's how I like to think of it. And since I've never been to New York, it's probably not very accurate, but it's busy and very tourist-y and there are huge light-up signs and street vendors and stores where the cheapest item of clothing you can find is 59.99 YTL (yes they do that thing where it's not quite 60 so you don't have to feel bad, only it's worse because there are no 1 cent coins, so you don't even get the penny back). I love it. There are also cool stores like the book shop Carlea and I like. I am seriously insisting that anyone who's ever in İstanbul go. Not even kidding. They have a huge selection of english books (dangerous when you're a poor exchange student addicted to novels!) and stepping into the store is like... I don't know. But I adore it. Then there's the trolley. It runs straight down the center of the cobblestone street. AND it's red. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I don't entirely understand how the whole paying thing works and where it stops, so I haven't tried to ride it yet, but since I go to Taksim like once a week, I'm sure I'll get around to it.
-Maeghan

5 comments:

Linda said...

Aren't there a ridiculous amount of pigeons in Europe? Just doesn't happen here. Which can be a good or bad thing.

Oh, have you read the Host? (by Stephenie Meyer)

What Canadian actors did you conclude to be cute?

So they still have .99 prices, but they don't have pennies so it doesn't even matter? The .99's are just there for the heck of it?

I love cobblestones. I think I've mentioned that already.

Rowan said...

PIGEONS!!!! OHMYGOSH!!!!

I was talking about the fat pigeons that hang around the school today! The pigeons there are a billion times cuter though!

Maeghan said...

No I havent read the Host, is it good?

My word is cations.

Kathleen said...

WHAT WHAT WHAT ABOUT THE X-FILES?!!? And whoa, pigeons yes, Rowan was indeed talking about them! How neat!

Kathleen said...

I'm getting the X-Files movie like right now... Yeees... Anyway. My word is "frange".