Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Power Outage and A Pair of Scissors

So yesterday I wrote my Turkish language test... 93%. I know. I rock. After class.. I don't remember what I did after class.

Anyways, when I got home as I came into the apartment building it started raining (good timing, eh?) and as I was taking my shoes off in the door to our apartment I saw lightning through the hall window. The sky was turning purple and green, waay sweet. So I call my host family, saying "Look, look!" (but in Turkish of course) and the take one look and start running around the house turning appliances and lights off. Twenty seconds later, all of Halkalı goes dark.
Well, I don't actually know if it was all of Halkalı, but whatever. We lost power! For like, 4 hours. It was fun. We ate by candle light, and since everything here is gas powered (hot water tank, stove) we just went about our lives same as ever, except that the TV was off.

Oh! I went to Kanyon with Juliana, Garet, and Blase. That's what I did after class.

Today I went to Taksim after breakfast and wandered around for an hour before taking a bus to İstineye and coming home again. Heh. I bought flowers for my host family, and I think they liked that.

After showering I cut my hair (here's where those scissors come in). Tomorrow I may need Emily to even out the back, but I think it looks fine, and Güner likes it. That's all.

-Maeghan

7 comments:

Marita said...

This is my favourite post that've you written yet and I just had to tell you how AWESOME it was! Also, good job on your language test!

Linda said...

Wow congrats on your test!
Power outages can be always fun. But they never last here.
Wow, all the power to you because I can never cut my hair.

Kathleen said...

Ohhh! Sweet! I love those colour storms!! Even though I have only seen one...! (Does everyone remember when the last Harry Potter came out and the sky was going all green!!? That was so sweet. Sorry if I seem to bring that up often...)

Anyway, I have to say something about this:

"we just went about our lives same as ever, except that the TV was off"

For me, that would be:

"I went about my life same as ever, except I sat for hours without thinking or blinking in shock and silence at how dramatically unfamiliar my life was"

or something. No, really, I do like to read of course. I just ALSO like movies...

And my word is "pointe". How nice!

Anonymous said...

"Life same as ever"

Do they have a gas powered microwave too?

Fortunately, if our power goes out, my camera will live for a good two days afterward, so I can run around outside in the rain and take cool pictures.

Did I mention that my camera bag has a built in weather sleeve thing? It's pretty much useless, but it looks cool.

Maeghan said...

Marita, why is it your favorite?
Thanks! I'm very proud of my mark.

And you are such a geek, Brennan. In the nicest, sweetest way possible. But really.
And we lost power for 3 days a couple years ago at my cabin. What would you do THEN!?!

Linda said...

Haha aw Kathleen...but one of the best shows of TV will be going away and that may cause me to go into a state of shock and confusion as well.

I can definitely see Brennan running outside in a crazy storm taking pictures, with a sheer look of delight on his face. Not sure where that image comes from, but it's there.

You could run wild with the mountain sheep in Waterton, go skiing, and go to Cardston for musicals. And of course, roll your eyes at that crazy Mitch.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the Turkish Test Princess!!!
xo
Mom