Friday, November 28, 2008

The Snow Monster Ate Her

Yes, it's English class again. Yes, it is always the hilight of my week. Between the teacher who mixes up words (successively rather than successfully or petitions instead of polititians), pronouces things funny (Meegin rather than Maeghan, Marotone rather than marathon, entiast rather than enthusiast) and combines words in the best way (most probably maybe class... or okay class now actually...) and the teacher who uses ridiculous examples (anyone remember the kicking kittens one?), will randomly say stuff that doesnt make sense (inserting words in the WOLF middle of sentences) and makes references that only I get (Inconcievable! Anyone seen the Princess Bride? Anyone?) it pretty much rocks. Plus British-English workbooks and recordings, which means words like "heaps" and "rubber" (as in eraser) are used often. Add in a sarcastic friend and it's pretty much set. Today we were coming up with reasons that the girl could have needed a helicopter rescue from the top of a mountain and İdil blames it on the snow monster. Heh. Maeghan bursts out giggling.

Now that that completely messy, hard to follow paragraph is done I'll get on with it. Today durin philosophy class I was unexpectedly filled with the overwhelming urge to sing. Of course I resisted. But I decided I miss set building. Remember the time when everyone stopped what they were doing and started dancing to Grease Lightning? Set building is so much fun. Singing and laughing and using power tools (like the staple gun or the jigsaw!) with my friends. Here there's nothing like that. It would have been fun to just start belting Wicked, but since I have to see my classmates all the time I resisted. Plus, goodness knows with a musical like that stuck in my head, I was destined to hit a wrong note (since I have a range of like, half an octave). Another lifetime mabye. Now here's the news. (Now ELO is stuck in my head! Why, oh cruel world?! Can't I live in peace?)

Sefa randomly attacked (jokingly, one would hope) the people sitting around me. Grabbing their collars and shaking them. Apparently he was demanding their money. The kid's a character. Very amusing, because he does lots of stuff, not just talking, so it's easier to find him funny.

Today I talked to my bus driver. Just because. I went up and sat in the front seats and said "I want to talk in Turkish!" and he said "Okay" so I told him about how much nicer the school busses are here. They wait for you if you're late and they have heating and air conditioning and curtains and individual seats, etc. Although they aren't yellow. He asked me how long I was going to be in Turkey and when I got here and when I was leaving. It was good.

This weekend is the Thanksgiving Dinner with Rotary. I'm making potatoes. Mashed or baked, I haven't decided which. Baked is less effort but bulkier and less traditional. Plus, my family doesn't have a stove. Heh. Problematic? Slightly. I was in the library today looking at a book of Turkish proverbs (that's right gang in the Crowsnest, I will be having a Turkish Proverb day-long competition!). Here are some of my favorites-
"Do not play with fire, it will burn your hand; do not play with a woman, she will burn your home."
"Get news from a child- they do not lie."
"No matter how tall a tree grows it never reaches the sky."
"A man should lose his life rather than his good reputation."
"Wisdom is not in age, it is in the mind."

Love you lots!
Maeghan

PS. Marita, if you're reading, there's a girl on TV right now who looks a lot like you, but with dyed red hair. It's curly-adorable the same way, and her face shape is similar.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I'm positive that your English class pwns my English class. Immensely.

Goodness knows...the wicked die alone! And goodness knows this song will be stuck in my head! Thank you!

Turkey in Turkey!

I love the proverbs. The Turkish seem to be very wise.

laura said...

Those proverbs rock. They are so much better than ours. We suck.

And my word verification is pounces. I kid you not.

Kathleen said...

Oh I should find some proverbs from my Espaces to share! I miss building too. And I hope ELO stands for what I think it stands for!

Maeghan said...

What do you think it stands for?